Our Facilities and Services
STFC funds and operates a number of large science facilities on behalf of the UK, located both within and outside of the UK, many offering research and development access to both academic and commercial users. Facilities include:
- the Central Laser Facility is one of the world’s leading laser facilities with an unparalleled range of state-of-the-art ultra-high power and ultra-fast laser technologies that can be used in a broad range of applications.
- The Diamond Light Source - the UK’s national synchrotron science facility in which STFC is a major shareholder. Diamond which is used by industry for studying fine atomic structures across the physical and life sciences using its highly controlled bright light sources from infrared to x-ray.
- VELA a new state of the art electron accelerator facility, is available for industrial and academic usage on a highly flexible basis
- ISIS provides a unique insight into both the structure and dynamics of materials at the atomic level in real time.
High performance computing
- the Hartree Centre is dedicated to developing software to model, simulate and visualise the research and development of products.
Space and astronomy
- world-class space and astronomy research and technology development, often with wider applications in non-related sectors such as energy and the environment.
STFC also maintains world class capabilities in areas such as photonics, cryogenics, advanced materials, high value manufacturing, engineering and instrumentation, modelling and simulation, visualisation, imaging, detectors and microelectronics, optics and spectroscopy.