Some may think science is only for the super smart, but in reality, science impacts everyone, everywhere. World Science Day for Peace and Development aims to highlight the importance of science in our daily lives.
It seems difficult to understand why, but what we see around us makes up just 5% of the Universe. The other 95% is a mystery, and Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) created a global discussion about how we can solve it!
Experts at STFC’s Daresbury Laboratory are helping CERN’s upgrade at the LHC by providing ‘crab cavities’.
The Central Laser Facility (CLF) recently welcomed four engineers from the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) in Mumbai for a knowledge exchange visit.
Super structures designed at Daresbury Laboratory and fabricated near John O’Groats have been successfully installed at the European Spallation Source (ESS) in Lund, Sweden.
Breakthrough radiotherapy technology that aims to reduce the cost and improve the performance of cancer treatment, is now one step closer to completion following a major milestone in its development.
Last week we inspired over 400 families with STFC’s computing science.
Are plastics the destroyer or saviour of our planet? Could we ban plastics completely? These are just a couple of the questions that will be explored by internationally acknowledged Professor Averil MacDonald OBE, in an exciting one-off public lecture at the Pyramid and Parr Hall in Warrington, 15 November 2018, 7-8pm.
A team of researchers from the University of Oxford are hoping that the STFC’s ISIS facility will help them solve a local mystery – why a set of busts that stood outside of the Sheldonian Theatre in Oxford crumbled beyond recognition within a few short decades when their predecessors endured for two centuries. Did the mason simply use inferior quality stone, or was some 19th century student skulduggery to blame?
The first intake of apprentices will be welcomed to the new Oxfordshire Advanced Skills (OAS) training centre at Culham Science Centre in September 2019. Construction on the new training centre is already underway.
Last updated: 01 November 2018