The skills we build…enabling economic growth
One of our goals is to help boost the development of world-class skills in science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) vital to the UK’s ability to compete and thrive in today’s global knowledge economy.
Skills that bring dramatic new breakthroughs within reach; skills that drive innovation and secure the emergence of pioneering products and technologies; skills that build world-beating high-tech businesses which spot opportunities and open up new markets…
- We engage with the public to heighten their understanding of – and fascination for – our portfolio of work and the tangible benefits it generates
- We strive to inspire and involve young people, helping to shape their career choices and spurring them to bring their curiosity, creativity and commitment to the world of science
- We provide funding and training for hundreds of PhD students, equipping them with transferrable skills that enhance their future employability and productivity
- We actively foster the development of agenda-setting expertise across academia and industry, enabling them to keep pace with global competition
- We work to continuously improve our in-house skills base, not simply maintaining but also strengthening the capabilities of our expert workforce
This section explains how we tackle head-on the crucial issue of skills development and take the steps needed to make both an immediate and a lasting impact that directly enhances the UK’s economic and social well-being.
Last updated: 06 October 2017